Associate Director, UMTRI; Miller Faculty Scholar, Research Associate Professor, Biosciences
University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, Room 429 2901 Baxter Rd. Ann Arbor, MI 48109
fax (734) 647-3330
- Research Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- LEO Adjunct Lecturer, Integrative Systems + Designs
- PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Wayne State University
- MS, Automotive Engineering, Tsinghua University
- BS, Automotive Engineering, Tsinghua University
Research Interests/Areas of Expertise
Dr. Hu’s research interests primarily focus on impact/injury biomechanics in motor-vehicle crashes by a multidisciplinary approach using a combination of experimental, computational, and epidemiological procedures. He is also interested in human modeling for other applications, including pediatric head injuries in falls and child abuse cases, computer-aided surgery, and seating comfort. One of the highlights of his recent research is the development of parametric computational human models representing a diverse population. Such models have been used to study the injury mechanism and safety design optimizations for various vulnerable populations, such as children, elderly, obese occupants, pedestrians, pregnant women, and wheelchair users. Dr. Hu is an author of 140+ peer-reviewed journal and conference papers. His research has been funded by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), Department of Defense (DoD), and Auto Industry (Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, ZF TRW, Autoliv, Britax, JCI, etc.).
- UMTRI Associate Director – 2020 to present
- Associate Editor: Traffic Injury Prevention
- Associate Editor: SAE International Journal of Transportation Safety
- Associate Editor: Frontiers in Public Health (Injury Prevention and Control)
- Member: The Scientific Program Committee of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM)
- Chair: UMTRI Faculty Development Committee – Since 2017
- Editorial Board: Journal of Automotive Safety and Energy
- Session Chair: Occupant Protection: Integrated Safety Systems, SAE World Congress
- Member: The Scientific Review Committee of IRCOBI (International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury)
- Reviewer for 30+ conferences and journals
- Miller Faculty Scholar, 2022, Michigan Engineering, University of Michigan
- Research Faculty Achievement Award, 2017, University of Michigan
- UMTRI Research Excellence Award, 2016, Hu et al. (2015) Integration of Active and Passive Safety Technologies – A Method to Study and Estimate Field Capability.
- UMTRI Research Excellence Award, 2016, Hu et al. (2015) Evaluation of ISO CRS Envelopes Relative to U.S. Vehicles and Child Restraint Systems.
- Mimics Innovation Award, Best Article Award: 1st Place in North & South America (€3500), 2015. Hu et al. (2015) Developing Parametric Human Models Representing Various Vulnerable Populations in Motor Vehicle Crashes.
- Best Paper Award, The 7th Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium, 2015. Hu et al. (2015) Effects of Occupant Size, Military Gear, Seatbelt Type, and Advanced Seatbelt Features on Occupant Kinematics in Tactical Vehicles during Frontal Crashes.
- Huang Shilin Memorial Award for Distinguished Paper on Vehicle Safety, 16th Conference of Automotive Safety Technology, 2013. Hu et al. (2013) Why Older, Obese, and Female Occupants are Vulnerable in Motor-Vehicle Crashes? A Biomechanical Point of View.
- SAE Engineering Meetings Board Outstanding Oral Presentation, SAE International, USA, 2009. Hu et al. (2009) Finite Element Investigation of Seatbelt Systems for Improving Occupant Protection during Rollover Crashes.
- Wayne State University’s Nomination for The 2008 Council of Graduate Schools/UMI Distinguished Dissertation Awards. Hu (2007) Numerical Investigations of Neck Injury Mechanism in Rollover Crashes – a Systematic Approach of Improving Rollover Neck Protection.
- Highest Scholastic Achievement Award, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA 2008
Basketball, Tennis, Stand Up-comedy, Singing