Mapping locations of child passenger safety technicians in Michigan.
Simulating crashes into roadside barriers
Identifying motivations of child passenger safety technicians.
Evaluating options to improve tether use in pickup trucks.
Comparing motorcyclist injury patterns before and after changes to Michigan’s helmet law.
Evaluating instruction to improve belt fit.
Predicting motorcycle helmet use.
Predicting pediatric injury risk by occupant restraint type and age.
Many UMTRI researchers assess how legislation and safety programs change occupant behavior and improve safety. UMTRI’s research findings have influenced public policies, safety regulations, industry standards and product design. Recent topics in this area have included motorcycle helmets, child passenger safety, impaired driving, seatbelts, texting, roadside hardware, and LATCH hardware.
- Alattar L, Yates JF, Eby DW, LeBlanc DJ, and Molnar LJ. (2016) Understanding and reducing inconsistency in seatbelt-use decisions: Findings from a cardinal decision issue perspective. Risk Analysis 36(1):83-97.
- Benedetti M, Klinich KD, Manary MA, Flannagan CA (2017) Predictors of restraint use among child occupants. Traffic Injury Prevention 18(8):866-860.
- Buckley L, Bingham C R, Flannagan C A, Carter P M, Almani F, and Cicchino J B (2016) Observation of motorcycle helmet use rates in Michigan after partial repeal of the universal motorcycle helmet law. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 95, 178-186.
- Buckley L, Ebert SM, Jones MLH, Reed MP, and Hallman JJ (2018) Evaluating an intervention to improve belt fit for adult occupants: promoting positive beliefs. Journal of Safety Research, 64:105-111.
- Carter PM, Buckley L, Flannagan CA, Cicchino JB, Hemmila M, Bowman PJ, and Bingham CR (2017) The impact of Michigan’s partial repeal of the universal motorcycle helmet law on helmet use, fatalities, and head injuries. American Journal of Public Health 107(1):166-172.
- Eby DW, Molnar LJ, Kostyniuk LP, St. Louis RM, Zanier N, Lepkowski J, and Bergen G. (2017) Perceptions of alcohol-impaired driving and the blood alcohol concentration standard in the United States. Journal of Safety Research 63:73-81.
- Etue K, Arnold R, Bruner M, Fillinger N, Flannagan C, Kaminski N, and Morrone W. (Mar. 2019) Report from the Impaired Driving Commission. Michigan.gov
- Flannagan CA. (2019) Texting bans, a possibly low-cost and effective means to help improve motor vehicle safety: an editorial. American Journal of Public Health 109:663665.
- Klinich KD, Benedetti M, Manary MA, Flannagan CA (2016) Rating child passenger safety laws relative to best practices for child occupant protection Traffic Injury Prevention, 18(4):406-411.
- Klinich KD, Manary MA, Malik L, Flannagan CA, Jermakian J. (2018) Assessing tether labeling and usability in pickup trucks. Traffic Injury Prevention 19(3):287-291.
- Kostyniuk LP, Eby DW, Molnar LJ, St. Louis RM, Zanier N, and Miller TR. (2018) Potential effects of lowering the BAC limit on injuries, fatalities, and costs. Journal of Safety Research 64: 49-54.
- Macy ML, Brines S, Klinich, KD, Manary MA, Gebremariam A, Teddy AJ, Bingham CR (2016) Child Passenger Safety Needs and Resources in Michigan, UMTRI 2016-19, University of Michigan Transpiration Research Institute.
- Macy ML, Brines SJ, Gebremariam A, Manary MA, Olaniyan H, Klinich KD. (2019) An assessment of child passenger safety levels of service in Michigan. Traffic Injury Prevention 20(3):289-295.
- Macy ML, Manary MA, Klinich KD (2019) Characterizing the child passenger safety workforce in Michigan: a statewide survey in 2015. Traffic Injury Prevention 20(3):282-288.
- Molnar LJ, Eby DW, Kostyniuk LP, St. Louis RM, and Zanier N. (2017) Stakeholder perceptions of lowering the BAC standard in the US. Annals of Epidemiology 27(12):757-762.
- Silvestri-Dobrovolny C, Prodduturu HR, Arrington D, Schulz ND, Rupp J, Hu J (2016) Project Investigation on Correlation between Roadside Safety Hardware and Vehicle Safety Standards Evaluation Criteria. ATLAS Technical Report, ATLAS-2016-12. ATLAS-center.org