Research Professor Emerita
University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, Room 406 2901 Baxter Rd. Ann Arbor, MI 48109
fax (734) 647-3330
- Postdoctoral fellowship University of Michigan School of Public Health in health behavior and health education
- PhD, Theoretical and Behavioral Foundations of Education, Wayne State University
- MSPH, University of Minnesota
- BSN, Cornell University
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise
Dr. Shope began conducting research at UMTRI in 1991, and served as the head of the Social and Behavioral Analysis Division from 1995 to 2005 and as associate director of UMTRI from 2006 to 2012. Dr. Shope was the director of the U-M Center for Injury Prevention among Youth, a collaboration between UMTRI and the U-M School of Public Health that led to the founding of the University of Michigan Injury Center, now a CDC-funded injury control research center.
Dr. Shope has an extensive background in funded behavioral science research, much of it regarding school health education, adolescent health promotion and risk reduction, adolescent substance use, adolescent driving, at-risk drinking, drink/driving, older drivers, and graduated driver licensing. Research sponsors include the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Safety Council, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Institute on Aging, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute of Neurological and Communicative Disorders and Stroke, General Motors, and Toyota, as well as various state agencies and departments. Dr. Shope has a substantial publication record, and is a sought-after expert, especially in the injury prevention areas of teen and young adult drivers, driver education, and graduated driver licensing.
- Chair, Transportation Research Board’s Committee on Alcohol, Other Drugs, and Transportation (ANB50)
- Member, National Academies Committee on Contributions from the Behavioral and Social Sciences in Reducing and Preventing Teen Motor Vehicle Crashes
- Secretary, International Council on Alcohol, Drugs, and Traffic Safety (ICADTS).
- University of Michigan Research Faculty Achievement Award 2005
- Cornell University-New York Hospital Distinguished Alumni Award 2013
- International Council on Alcohol Drugs and Traffic Safety Widmark Award 2013