First-year Michigan Engineering graduate students attend the Michigan Engineering Graduate Student Orientation at Hill Auditorium on Central Campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI on August 29, 2019.rrPhoto: Joseph Xu/Michigan Engineering, Communications & Marketing

Student Research Assistants: Many research projects provide paid research experience for undergraduate and graduate student researchers. Undergraduates usually work 5-10 hours and graduate students work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year, and students work 20-40 hours per week in the summer. Work-study students are eligible but it is not required. During the summer, UMTRI holds a Summer Student Seminar series where students can learn more about transportation safety research through weekly lectures offered by UMTRI faculty and staff. Recent UMTRI Student Researchers Current postings for student researchers

Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE): The SURE program offers paid summer internships to sophomores or juniors to assess their interest and potential to pursue research in graduate school. Learn more about SURE. See posted UMTRI SURE projects.

Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP): Undergraduate researchers (mostly freshman) work 6-10 hours a week during the academic year under supervision by an UMTRI faculty member. Students can earn credit or be paid by the UROP program. Faculty members post available research projects each summer, and students apply to work on projects each September. Learn more about UROP

M-STEM Academy Summer Research Program: The University of Michigan’s M-STEM academy is designed to increase, strengthen and diversify the number of students choosing to pursue degrees in science, technology, engineering, and math. M-STEM students are eligible for paid research internships funded by the Academy. Recent M-STEM Summer Researchers Learn more about M-STEM Academy

Community College Summer Fellowship Program (CCSFP): The UROP program also sponsors the CCSFP, at 10-week paid internship for sophomores and juniors currently enrolled in community colleges who are interested in transferring to UM. Learn more about CCSFP

Independent Research: Students can perform research at UMTRI for credit at either the undergraduate or graduate level.