UMTRI at TRB
January 15, 2009
UMTRI shines at TRBThe eighty-eighth annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board took place on January 11-15 in Washington, D.C. UMTRI director Peter Sweatman, researchers, and staff members welcomed friends, colleagues, and sponsors at a reception on January 11 at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.
Many UMTRI researchers presented papers or presided over session and committee meetings:
- Ray Bingham presented and helped organize the Human Factors workshop Recent Advances in Novice Driver Research.
- Fran�ois Dion presented two poster sessions: "VII Test Bed Simulation Framework for Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Communication and Application Evaluations," which was coauthored by Jun-Seok Oh of Western Michigan University and Ralph Robinson; and "Integration of Signal Control and Transit Signal Priority Optimization in Coordinated Network Using Genetic Algorithms and Artificial Neural Networks," which was coauthored by Mohammad Ghanim of Reynolds, Smith & Hills and Ghassan Abu-Lebdeh of the American University of Sharjah.
- David Eby presented "Aging and Demographic Transition."
- Mike Flannagan presided over a meeting of the workshop To Light or Not to Light, That Is the Question: Identifying Drivers' Visual Needs Is the Answer.
- Tim Gordon presided over two meetings of the Vehicle-Highway Automation Committee and over the session Active Safety and Automation for Cooperative Vehicle-Highway Systems.
- Steve Karamihas presented several sessions in the workshop ProVAL 3.0: Pavement Profile Viewing and Analysis Software: "Vehicle Ride and Ride Indices," "Cross Correlation," "Power Spectral Density," "Smoothness Assurance Module," and "Review and General Discussion." He also presented "Detailed Profile Analysis on the Arizona SPS-5 Project" in a poster session.
- Lidia Kostyniuk presented "A Multivariate Analysis of Crash and Naturalistic Event Data in Relation to Highway Factors Using the GIS Framework-Update," which was coauthored by Tim Gordon, Paul E. Green, Michelle Barnes, Adam Blankespoor, Scott Bogard, and Dan Blower. She also coauthored the paper "Vehicle Capacity and Fuel Consumption in Household Fleets: Constraint-Based Microsimulation Model," which was presented by lead author Kevin Bolon of the U-M School of Natural Resources and Environment (SNRE). Greg Keoleian, also of SNRE, is the other coauthor.
- Oliver Page presented "Roadside Alligators and UMTRI Tire Debris Survey," which was coauthored with John Woodrooffe.
- Jean Shope presented "Nature of Young Impaired Driver Crashes: Implications for Prevention."
- Peter Sweatman presented "Recent Truck Safety Experiences from Australia."